Sunday, February 17, 2013

Using Social Media


In reflecting on my connection to social media this week, I found out that my life already revolves around computer. Most of my daily interactions with parents and friends are always with computer either through e-mail, face-book or texting. My present and past experiences with the face-book are usually to interact with friends and locate the where about of other friends to find out what they are doing with their lives. Face-book is my source of sharing information, networking with other businesses, maintaining the relationships I have outside the United States and helps to reconnect me to lost friends in order to build more lasting relationships.
In my opinion I think that face-book, blog, and youtube are effective ways advocates can use to have successful and productive feedbacks. The social media will enable me reach out to other professionals in order to establish my audience and make them aware of the support I need for the cause I am advocating for.
I would use the social media to mobilize volunteers, contact people that have a lot of followers on their face-book pages to inform them about fundraising or newsletter to increase attendance to a conference or workshop.
If anyone has suggestions or other ways to use social media to connect to my audience, please feel free to comment.

References
Chun, K. (2010). Why Facebook matters for nonprofits. The Evaluation Exchange, 15(1), 20. Retrieved fromhttp://www.hfrp.org/evaluation/the-evaluation-exchange/current-issue-scaling-impact/why-facebook-matters-for-nonprofits

E-Advocate. (2011). Social media advocacy: Five influential steps. Retrieved fromhttp://eadvocate.wordpress.com/social-media-advocacy-six-influential-steps/










2 comments:

  1. Chika,

    Twitter is a great way to follow important children organizations and stay knowledgeable about issues in the field. I never thought about you-tube, but you are right that is a great source for advocacy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chika,

    With the access to online media so prevelent in todays society, I would simply remind everyone that connecting with people hundreds of miles away is great. The art of communication with real life people in the same room is suffering. We all should try to make connections with real people that we encoutner act with daily face to face basis.

    Christine

    ReplyDelete